Sunday, March 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Lady Gaga!

Photobucket


I normally don't listen to pop music, or anything that's on the radio in general, but there is one grand exception to the rule - Lady Gaga. I've been known to have a few random obsessions with various performers, but I haven't had one this massive since my fixation with George Michael and Wham! Generally, I am considered an "indie chick" because my musical tastes tend to run to artists/bands such as Rilo Kiley, Bright Eyes, Death Cab for Cutie and Beirut, so an artist such as Lady Gaga doesn't exactly fit in. For a long time, with that same assumption, I sneered my nose down at her too, figuring she was just another Britney Spears. That is, until I happened to see her on SNL. Too lazy to turn the mute button on during the musical performance, I was curious when I saw her come out there wearing well, one of her usual numbers but was even more surprised when I realized that she can actually sing! Being a fashionista myself, I was already familiar with some of the buzz she had created with her eccentric fashion sense, but didn't really have a reason to care until I realized that aside from the silly lyrics of her songs, it has a really good beat, just the kind of music I was craving at the time! It took me another 3 months to get the guts up to actually purchase her album (thank you iTunes, I was able to purchase the digital album and hence, only my roommate was aware of my loss of indie cred). I swear, I have been unable to take that album off my mp3 player since I bought it 5 months ago! INSANE! Well, there you go, for an amazing performer, who really seems to be pretty down-to-earth and doesn't forget her fans despite her enormous fame and her natural singing talent, not to mention her keen sense of fashion and artistic heart, have a great 24th birthday!

Now in an effort to feel indie again...I got the new She & Him album yesterday, can't wait to give it a listen!

No comments: